Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Week 3 Observations: Oct. 31st - Nov. 4th

This week I observed one new organism in my micro-aquarium that I had not observed in the previous weeks. I identified this organism to be Oligochaeta (Smith 2001). Oligochaeta is described as an aquatic earthworm. Under the microscope, it looks similar to the earthworms we see in soils. There was only one of these organisms that I noticed while I was observing the aquarium and it tended to stay close to the plant life in the aquarium. During my observation I also noticed a much larger abundance of  Rotifers and Cyclops than prior weeks. The Cyclops appeared to be at a much higher maturity level as well, appearing to be fully developed. The water level in my aquarium was down to about halfway so I filled it back up to the top. I hope to obtain some pictures during my final observation next week to show the development of the lifeforms as well as to show the aquatic earthworm.


Works Cited: 
Smith, Douglas Grant. Pennak's Freshwater Invertebrates of the United States. 4th ed. 2001. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. New York. pp 276

No comments:

Post a Comment